Thursday 1 August 2013

Money and marriage: what spouses should merge and what they should keep separate


Check it Here! 
 Back in 2011, I found out that my wife cancelled her credit card as she had gotten into debt. I asked her how bad it was, and she said it was nothing she couldn’t handle. I shrugged and thought nothing more of it—it was, after all, her money. Or so I thought.

A year later, we received a letter informing us that our bank was turning over the debt, which had gone unpaid, to a collection agency. That was the only time I became aware we had a problem, and by the time we got to talking about it, the debt had ballooned to nearly three times its original size.

While we eventually paid off the credit card together, my takeaway from this is that, as a married couple, major financial problems were best handled together rather than apart. While some people disliked talking about money even with their loved ones, the truth is that in a marriage, your money decisions affect your whole family.

On the other hand, pooling all your money together seems to deny your independence and personal needs, and could fuel marital conflict. So where does one draw the line? Does tying the knot mean marrying your finances together, or does it make more sense to keep them separate?

No comments:

Post a Comment